Tuesday, August 20, 2013

THE SWORD IS MIGHTIER THAN THE PEN

What a collection! With a tremendous grouping of World War One militaria under our belts, including edged weapons and some top notch German Helmets, the door has opened.  A Boston consigner has brought us a superior collection of swords.  These weapons include two Revolutionary War Horseman's Sabers and a half dozen Civil War period Cavalry swords.  One of the "wristbreakers" has its original Rock Island Arsenal hangers!  These weapons are completely untouched and original, just what we want.  The pieces we have for the September sale are just the tip of the iceberg, this collection is deep.  I can't wait to bring in the rest.



I was fortunate to meet with my Porcelain expert this week and furthered my education in 19th Century Chinese Export.  The quality collection of Canton shines with a new light to my eyes and has his blessing.  A ginger jar with Bonzai tree decoration is my favorite and looks to be 18th Century.  The china trade was just as hot two centuries ago as it is Today.


As Summer comes to its close, I reflect on not enough beach time or fish caught, but I am thrilled with the quality of antiques and art which has past our threshold.  The subtle changes which herald Fall's approach have begun, cooler nights and the last rush to the Cape.  But Football is just around the corner, Hallelujah!  Our September 10th sale comes after what I hope will be a strong Brimfield for our dealers.

I want to recognize the passing of a dear friend, our dog Benny died peacefully last week.  You dog lovers know the pain we are feeling with his passing.  He was a sweet and happy soul who will be missed.