Thursday, September 12, 2013

AUCTION NIGHT

The crew looked sharp, the lighting was perfect, the hall was decked and the crowd pulsing with optimistic energy, even the weather was a ten!  After my pre flight Patron shot (a theatrical superstition), I was thrilled to take the stage.  Three hours and 241 lots later I felt a feeling of gratitude wash over me as a brilliant evening began to wind down.  

What a strong sale!  To me the highlight of any auction is the unexpected result.  Our pair of Jerusalem Bezalel Torah Finials filled the starring role, hammered at $30,000 three times high estimate with fierce competition from three bidders, one on the phone from Israel.  It is amazing Today, how technology allows us to project our consignments to a global audience.



The collection of 19th Century Canton Porcelain had a strong showing as the lots topped our high estimates and saw great action on the floor.  Militaria was another extremely strong category.  The collection of Cavalry swords saw action, selling to the floor, phones and left bidders.  The Civil war Starr Carbine rose to $1,500 and a pair of World War One Grenades fetched a stunning $750.  I just love selling military items as they just draw the interest of the crowd like no other category. 

I am very thankful to all of those wonderful people whose hard work makes these sales a success!  My crew is simply the best, everything ran smoothly and flawlessly.  Thanks to the management and employees of Memorial Hall, New England Bartending Service and Chef Steven Coe.  Thank you to everyone who came out for the sale, I appreciate your business and enthusiasm.  Our next sale is scheduled for November 19th, at 6:00 P.M. at 83 Court Street, Plymouth, MA.