Saturday, June 22, 2013



This was an interesting week at America's Hometown Auction, our house calls have yielded some exceptional consignments.  My favorite item is A Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Commissioned painting by celebrated Cape Cod Artist Ralph Cahoon and this one is spectacular! Every artistic element a collector and enthusiast could wish for is here: Playful mermaids netted by Jack Tar Sailors, Ships, Whales, Hot Air Balloons, even Nobska Lighthouse in the background.  Painted in 1977, Oil on Board, titled Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, in the foreground, with the Atlantis Ship and a Sailors Valentine for "Alvin" (the famed deep sea submarine), on a whale's tail.  This beautiful Painting will be for sale to the highest bidder at our September 10th Auction.


We were fortunate to uncover some other interesting items for our September sale, including a collection of Early 19th Century American weight driven Mantel Clocks,  some rare and colorful early European Travel and Exposition Posters and I am crossing my fingers for a 1967 BMW R69S Motorcycle!  This bike is simply amazing!  Totally original paint, with matching numbers!  I can't use enough exclamation points to convey my excitement!!!!!  Sorry, classic bikes get me a bit overexcited.

I also had the opportunity to conduct a "roadshow style" appraisal at Plymouth Plantation this week.  I met some really nice people and appraised some interesting items.  My favorites included an iconic weapon of the American Civil War, an 1863 Remington Zoave Rifle in near Mint unissued condition, a bronze Eastlake style hotel inkw
ell, some 18th Century Georgian Silver and a Shreve Crump & Low Silver pocket watch.  I really enjoy these events, as you never know what will land on the table.  It can be a challenge meeting such a diversity of objects, but offers a great opportunity to learn.

We closed out the week in our office, finalizing our advertising piece for the July 16th Sale.  Looking through our lots I realized what a great sale we have put together!  Six weeks of gathering consignments from the four corners of the earth (including central Florida!) and the fruits of our labor can be viewed at our website www.jjamesauctions.com.  I am excited and can't wait for the sale.

It is time to catch my breath and do some fishing.  The Striped Bass have been hot in Plymouth Bay.  I have even heard rumors of early Pogies in the harbor.  Live lining Blue Fin at Stellwagen Bank, is just around the corner.